License Plates Renewal
License Plates Renewal is the easy and convenient way for Illinois motorists to renew their license plates. We suggest you renew no later than one month before your registration expires.
- A Registration ID and PIN from the License Plate Renewal that was mailed to you is needed.
- The Insurance Company Name, Policy Number and Expiration Date for the vehicle of the license plate you are renewing.
You are not eligible to renew if:
- The vehicle information is not correct or current.
- The renewal sticker needs to be mailed to an out of state address.
- The applicant wants to switch of license plates types (i.e., standard passenger to organ donor).
- The applicant wants to change the spacing on the license plates.
- The applicant is a participant in Benefit Access Program.
- Payment must be made during the renewal process using an electronic check or Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express cards only.
- A $2.25 fee paid to the payment processors will be collected.